Certain foods and household products can be dangerous to dogs! It’s only natural for dogs to be curious. But their curiosity can get them into trouble when they get into areas where you store household items such as medicine and detergents. Many common household items that you use every day can be harmful, and sometimes even lethal, to your dog.
Foods that are harmful to your dog that may cause vomiting, abdominal pain and/or diarrhea:
Foods that are harmful to your dog that may cause varied reactions:
Pear and peach kernels
Tomato and potato leaves and stems
Mushrooms (if also toxic to humans)
Onions and onion powder
Symptoms of possible poisoning are vomiting, diarrhea, difficult breathing, abnormal urine (color, aroma or odor, frequency, etc.), salivation, weakness.
If your dog should ingest harmful chemicals, contact a veterinarian or poison control center immediately.
Common household items that are harmful to your dog:
Antifreeze and other car fluids
Bleach and cleaning fluids
Nail polish and remover
Deodorizers and Detergents
Prescription and non-prescription medicine
Snail or slug bait
For more information about responsible dog ownership, visit the AKC web site at: http://www.akc.org/